Friday, 19 October 2012

Happy Birthday Ken Stott!

 
Edd's Heads: Ken Stott
 
The Scottish actor was born on this day, 1954. Click to enlarge.
 
I did this piece a couple of years ago. I remember drawing a few preparatory sketches of Ken in my sketchbook as I watched him as the lead role in a superb BBC drama about British comedian Tony Hancock. It's unusual for me to draw from just screen footage...I prefer still photos of a face to work from, but it was a fun challenge all the same. It's also unusual for me to caricature someone from just a 'side profile' view, but I think exaggerating the size of Ken's hooter swung it for me. Looking back, I think I tried to aim for a subtle, muted, 'atmospheric' approach to this one as opposed to my usual bold, bright, cartoony colours....and somewhere along the way I managed to make Ken look like some sort of  'Zombie Muppet...!?'
 
Oh well....it kept me occupied on a dark, wintry night I suppose, and creating art is a 'learning process' which I think is good for the soul.  An 'Expression of the imagination'. For me, art provides a means to express the imagination in non-grammatic ways that are not tied to the formality of spoken or written language. Unlike words, which come in sequences and each of which have a definite meaning, art provides a range of forms, symbols and ideas with meanings that are malleable....know what I mean?
 
Wooah, all that's a bit 'deep' for a Friday, eh....? Have a good weekend folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment