Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Happy Birthday Ricky Tomlinson!

 
Edd's Heads: Ricky Tomlinson
 
(Click to enlarge my arse)
 
 
Born this day, 1939.

What can I say about Ricky Tomlinson?

His best known character, the lovable, grumpy slob, Jim Royle, is a bit of a 'God' in our house. The lovely Irene and I are huge fans, as are of course, most people that we know! The older I get, it seems I can identify with 'Jim Royle' more and more as time goes by...especially when it comes to family, housework, money, flatulence and moaning about idiots on the telly...

Ricky has had a hell of a life off screen as well... He's been a plasterer, banjo player, comic performer, union agitator, political activist, resentful guest of Her Majestys Prison Service and an award winning actor to boot! I really recommend Rickys autobiography - if you haven't already read it. A fascinating read.

Ricky Tomlinson is well respected for his honesty, wit, and integrity......qualities hard to find amongst the so called 'famous faces' in todays 'culture of celebrity.' ( Don't get me started! )

He's also a very generous person. In 2008, Ricky donated £200,000 as patron of the Human Milk Bank of Cheshire and North Wales. The charity provides babies on Special Care Baby Units with milk from donor mothers, significantly improving their chances of survival and long term development. He is quoted as saying: "Due to my own recent experiences with my health, I know how much hospitals and appeals appreciate help and assistance. This is such an important service which can help so many families and I'm very honoured to be the patron."
In November 2010 it was also reported that Ricky had anonymously donated £1million to the Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool two years previously. A top geezer I'm sure you'll agree!

Anyway, here's a pic of me meeting Ricky, when he came to Glasgow back in April 2009; and I managed to present him with a print of his Edd's Heads caricature. After being momentariley gob smacked when he first set eyes on my handy work, he then burst out laughing and was delighted. Job done then! The following week he rang me twice to thank me for the caricature which I'm told now hangs in his office....what a star!

Long may he and his arse reign! Happy birthday Ricky.

Testimonial: " Edd's work is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant! " - Ricky Tomlinson 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment