Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Happy Birthday Joe Strummer!


Edd's Heads: Joe Strummer
(Click to enlarge)

The legendary frontman of one of my all time favourite bands, The Clash. Their music spoke to and defined a generation and still resonates today. I have always been very inspired by the 'get-up-and-do-it-for-yourself' approach that (early) Punk music championed. The Clash were the real deal. Their music was raw, honest, impassioned, political, funny and frankly mind-blowing in my opinion. They rejected the bullshit of the 'old order', championed underdogs and inspired hope, equality and tolerance amongst the masses. We could sorely use a bit more of that around today, I reckon.
Joe would've turned 60 today, had he lived. He died in December 2002 (wow, where did those ten years go...?!). Hope everyone has a real blast at the Strummer of Love Festival this year! Wish I was there!

RIP Joe. I will keep listening...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you to keep him in mind and for this strong drawing. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete