Sunday, 17 June 2012

Happy Father's Day!



(Click to enlarge)

Posted by Picasa

Okay, so this post is a bit of a cheat as the gift caricature above was actually created for my Dad's 70th birthday a couple of years ago...but hey, as it's Fathers Day, I thought I'd use the excuse to stick 'Big Ed's' ugly mug on my blog!(Yes, we share the same name!) That's my mum, Anne, pictured beside him. My parents are great. Without their support and encouragement over the years to keep on drawing, then I might not have been the caricaturist I am today.

 It was Dad who really 'lit the fire' in me from a young age. A self taught keen artist himself, one of my early memories is of me being amazed by his drawings of Batman, Spiderman and all my other favourite cartoon characters, which he would simply doodle out before my eyes to keep me amused. Watching him draw when I was little, really blew me away. When I got a bit older he also kept me in good supply of comics ( Beano, Dandy and best of all, the Nutty! ), which I'd devour and try to copy artwork from them and they fuelled my imagination even more. That was it for me. I caught the 'drawing bug' and haven't wanted to do anything else since.
 My Dad's had a tough couple of years, recently battling cancer, but being the tough old cookie that he is we're pleased to report that he's 'still game' and seems to have kicked ol' cancer's arse. Nae bother!
So, happy Father's day to him and all the other cool old Dads out there!
PS: In keeping up with the family tradition, here's the cool caricature of me that I received today from my son Tommy, aged 6....


Great job, Tommo! You've got me spot on...especially the grey hair! Best Fathers Day present ever.
 Stay hip to the jive, Daddio's...

No comments:

Post a Comment